I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Thursday off of Work

Thursday was Memorial Day here in Korea, which means I got a day off.  I have say that having a holiday on a Thursday and having to work on Friday sucks.  But, I did make the best of it and toured several of the gates of ancient Seoul.  There used to be 4 large gates and 4 minor gates.  Now there are only three of each.  On Thursday I visited two of them, plus the main gate of the largest palace in Seoul.
The first gate just had reconstruction finished last month after a disgruntled government employee set fire to it several years ago.  They did the complete reconstruction only using tools that would have been available during the time period it was originally built.
The second gate is the main gate of the palace I was talking about.
The final gate is in the eastern part of Seoul. And is known as Dongdaemun (the great east gate).  It is closed and when I did some googling I found out that the roof had been structurally damaged due to rain and hail.
Finally there is a picture of a statue of this famous admiral from the Korean navy who designed this great boat and killed a large part of the Japanese during their battles.  The statue is cool because it is also surrounded by dancing water fountains that had tons of kids playing it them on the warm summer holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment