I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, HELP!!!


I need the help of other brilliant minds.  I'm looking for a challenging book for my upper level students to add to the curriculum for next term.  I want to move the current level 5 book to level 6, but the problem is one of the students that is in level 5 will be returning for level 6.  There lies the problem.  I love my current level 6 book, but I think with just a fraction of adjustment in the amount of depth that we dive into it, it could easily be done at a level 4 or 5 which is my plan.  

What I'm looking for is a decent book of about 200 to 300 pages.   I'm thinking of a biography or an autobiography for a change in genre if that helps anyone.  I would love to do one of my favorite books, In Dubious Battle, with the students, however I don't think migrant workers in southern California during the Great Depression is an easy setting for them to connect with on a personal level.

That being said, I just finished another good read and god the plan done for that book, and I found a Louis L'Amour book for 50 cents that will be my next book.  The hilarious thing about this book is it doesn't even have a barcode, which I'm going to take into class and show the students because they've been using their Galaxies and iPhones to scan the barcodes of books, and it instantly  gives them the proper citation for that book.  I think modern technology is awesome, but I've been stressing and testing them about learning how to do it by hand, so if they aren't near a computer, the computer does it wrong, or like in this case the book doesn't have a barcode, they're not stranding on a creek without a paddle.

1 comment: