I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

IMAX, Doing the Admiral and Pronunciation


So after work on Thursday we drove out to Gwanju a bigger city that's about 45 minutes away, an hour during rainy season, in order to see the newest Batman. I say “we drove” but really our new grammar teacher and front desk manager drove four of us. It was a cozy fit, but still exponentially more comfortable than the snowboarding trip. Was Batman playing in Suncheon? Yes, but we thought that the movie mandated a viewing on an IMAX screen. We were right. The funny thing is the boss man brought his whole family, mother included, to a 12:45am showing. Fun times. Reminded me of mom and dad going with me to the midnight showing of Iron Man II. Gwanju has lots of cuties. Just an observation. The movie theater is also home to a lot of little shops, which were closed by the time we got there, but we became super excited to see that the Burger King light was still on. WRONG. It was 12:07 and they stopped serving at 12. I'm sorry, but if you're a burger shop operating right across the walkway from a theater in a country where you can bring your own food and beer into the theater wouldn't you think that you'd want to stay open til at least the last show starts. That being said, 7 minutes? We even offered to buy the easiest things. No such luck. Then we went the opposite direction and offered to buy $25 worth a food a piece. I was a little upset, but then I thought back to my Quiznos days and when people would come in at 8:55 and order like 12 subs. Was I happy, absolutely because I liked making food, but was I in a pleasant mood when they ate one of them there. Not so much. So we hit up a gas station for a gas station burger, so ramyen, a good variety of chips and enough beer to feel dandy.

My youngest kids just wrapped up a Beatles project which was the highlight of my month. I think I could win the lottery, but seeing the kids having fun listening to the fab four and reading song titles was too awesome. We started the week with writing a paragraph about the Beatles. I had them choose what to call them [rock band, musical group, band, etc] and gave them liberty over where to say they were from [Liverpool, the UK, the United Kingdom, England, Britain, etc] and then I had them pick 5 songs out of a large list that I typed up for them. I was pleasantly surprised that not all the students picked the shortest song titles. Some of them recognized that there were longer titles that they knew all the words in it and it would be easy to read. Then on the last day of the project I had them walking around the room looking for information on discography posters that I had scattered around the room. They then created their own #1 album plaques. Those will definitely stay in my classroom on the wall for quite some time.

Speaking of my classroom, I finally got my projector back. My youngest class can now be back in there, which is good because the other classroom that we had been using is a little darker and so one of the students has a hard time staying awake during class. In my room with the ample amount of sunlight, it isn't as easy to catch a nap.

With one of my older classes last night (Friday) we laughed for probably 20 minutes straight about Koreans and their pronunciations of their language. I'm trying to speak the language and use it whenever I can and not be one of those honkeys (as Heana says he friends call “us”) that just gets by on charades and pointing. Anyways, on a couple of occasions I'll give directions to the taxi driver and he'll just have this blank look on his face, and then a Korean will help out and ask me where I want to go and I tell him again (in Korean) and he turns to the taxi driver and says the EXACT same words but with the ever slightest of inflections. It's not even the difference between Mexia and Mex-ia. This is the difference of Jory and Joreeeee or so it sounds like to me. Maybe there's a secret wink or foot tap that I'm supposed to throw in too. But, my students do it to. My students will ask about my family and I'll tell them I've got family up in Pyeongtaek. I'll get the most puzzled look, and then I'll be like here's Seoul and here's Daejeon and then Cheonan and then bam Pyeongtaek. And then they all go OH Pyeongtaaaek or something like that and I'm like oh my gosh yes. And so this went on with goofy silliness for 20 minutes and a couple of the girls found it so funny that they were crying.

One of the crying girls showed me a disgusted look later. I brought back one of my favorite projects that I've been doing since I was a student teacher:Trading Cards. The topic was Columbus and whether or not he deserved a day memorializing him. So I premade the titles on a few cards to fan the fire and hopefully get some creative juices flowing from the students. I did the usual ones you'd expect like King Sejong and Admiral Yi Sun-Sin or something like that. I then Googled searched for key historical Koreans. I should've specified South because one of the ones that I ended up making was actually a Northerner (ok so Byron got docked a couple of cool points for that one, but that didn't even warrant the disgusted look). Then I also included cards for Park Tae Hwan (the Korean swimmer) and then my girlfriend Kim Yu Na (my mom probably thinks of her as an ice skater, but too me she's the Hite Beer Girl). My girls in my classes always talk about their favorite K-Pop boy bands so I thought that would get some of the quieter girls involved if I threw out some names onto cards of the lead boy singers. Evidently that's where I went wrong, not putting a North Korean, but picking ugly boys to give holidays or trading cards. I got a good laugh out of it.

The students also got a laugh because every single time I said the name Admiral Yi Sun-Sin I felt it was absolutely necessary to strike the Admiral Yi Sun-Sin pose. I think I could really start something here kind of like “everyone's got a little Captain in them” or planking. Maybe I'll start a photo album of spontaneous Admiral poses in public. :-)



General Yi Sun-sin

On Saturday I headed up to Pyeongtaaaaaek (as my students would pronounce it) to see Scott and Heana. I barely missed the 7:00 train due to difficulty getting a cab and just lights not going my way (I know leave earlier) and so I waited at the train station for the 9:00 train. When I arrived I was going to get a locker and leave my bag in it while we ate lunch at this megacenter that was a shopping center/food court/train station. I couldn't get the locker machine to work (instructions written in English too for honkeys like me). I became frustrated and was like whatever and so I was listening to music while I was waiting and noticed that four sets of Koreans couldn't get the lockers to work either. Yay, it wasn't a language barrier issue. Either we're all incompetent or it's broken.

I've been killing it Italiano style lately (maybe a future teaching destination?). I made some amazing meatballs, which should come as no surprise to mom and grandma because I still get grief for the only adjective that could come to mind after visiting Europe was “amazing”. I also made these pan-seared mushrooms like were crusted in garlic and herbs. When I took them out, there was a lot of garlic, herbs and oil left in the pan and it would've been such a waste so I was contemplating what to do with it. I decided on a risotto and it was a fantastic choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment