I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Hot 5 Seconds, Highlights, and Rainy Season


So last Tuesday I was working on a blog entry before work whenever I got my prep work done.  I didn’t have it ready to publish and I had it in an open Word document that was minimalized on my computer.  After the first break it was I came back and it was deleted.  Really?

Anyways.  Back to the update.  My knee has been bothering me as of lately.  I’ve taking a little time off of running while it starts to feel a little bit better.  It’s that dull stabbing pain that I’ve had before.  Now I’ve got the acupuncture doctor working his magic on it.  His bony fingers can definitely grind out the pain in my tendons like nothing else I’ve felt working my knee.  He then put some extra pins into my knee and then he put four ink dots on my knee.  Then he told the assistant something.  After the typical pin session the assistant then rubbed some sort of balm onto my knee and then put three incense pellets onto the dots and then informed me that it would be very hot for 5 seconds.  Ok.  OMG.  When she lit those on fire it felt like someone was lighting a firecracker on my knee. 

When I went again on Thursday it was the same treatment and another added step involving double sided tape and more some more smoking stuff.  That stuff wasn’t nearly as bad, but now I’ve got five brown dots on my knee that don’t wash off. 

Work has been going good.  We’re giving the students extra work to do outside of class so that they can work on and refine their listening and reading comprehension skills.  Most of the stories that my middle level students read are adapted versions of Highlights stories, so it was great to visit the Highlights website and see that they’ve got plenty of other stories on there that I can give them reading comprehension questions to. For listening the next couple of classes they’ll be listening to the Caldecott winning book The Man that Walked Between the Towers.  It’s a great book and there’s a version on Youtube that my kids can listen to and take notes on.  If the comments on Youtube are correct and it’s a toss-up if they are, but allegedly it’s Jake Gyllenhahl that reads the story.  Much better than Tim Tebow’s version of Green Eggs and Ham (someone needed to practice a little more on that one). 

I picked up a new class and got a lot of my older kids back.  This is an issue debate class.  I find it super interesting because of the topics we’ve gotten to discuss just in the two weeks I’ve had it.  The first week was whether or not there should be a such thing as a parenting license.  What I found interesting is the pros for such a creation are all logical and factual, but the cons against such a license are all based on emotion which makes for an interesting debate.  Last night’s topic was the state of welfare and whether or not all welfare should be ceased.  This one was an interesting debate topic because of the extreme of it.  All welfare to go away?  That seems a little insane, then again every student agreed that there definitely needs to be more restrictions put on welfare.

In other news, we went out for one of my buddy’s birthdays after work on Saturday.  It was just another fun night at our chicken and beer joint.  It was also the heaviest rainfall that I’ve seen so far.  I’m still enjoying rainy season, which a lot of my coworkers think is insane, but before I left we just weren’t getting any amount worth counting in Texas.  Although, from friends and family I’ve heard that situation has changed this summer back home.  Yay for lake fun again everyone back home.  No more islands and tree stumps creating boating hazards.

No comments:

Post a Comment