I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hodge Podge of Postings


This post is a little bit of everything.

First, Korea has gotten some things right as far as a developed society is concerned. It thinks about the youth that are an integral part of the society. In the US we judge and chastise our youth for not doing things productive and instead congregate at Whataburger, Wal-Mart or in random parking lots. You've got the occasional movie theater or bowling alley, but as far as other establishments there's not a lot for high-schoolers to do when the clock hits ten. Here in Korea, there's karaoke clubs, WII clubs, DVD clubs, PC rooms, billiards halls, and Screen golf rooms. They're open late, cheap and are readily available even in tiny towns to keep people out of trouble. Just a thought: if you have a problem created by people not having things to do, give them something to do.

One of the things to do that my boss introduced me to is the PC room. For basically a buck an hour you get access to a pc, 20” monitor and about 150 games. There's tons of Koreans that flock and fill the PC rooms whenever a new game demos. Back in May, he wanted to go for the Diablo III release. Since then ever couple of weeks he'll want to go for a couple hours of cheap fun. There are however the pcer's that overdo it. Some of them stay in there for days and eat nothing but cup of noodles. I usually get dirty looks whenever I walk in there to play with a six pack of brew. I can only imagine that the looks that I'm getting showing up to play a game with a six pack is the look that I deliver to people that are smoking at the beginning of a marathon. Really? That's going to help ya?

Second, lately I've been listening to my iPod on full shuffle. It's been very interesting to hear the randomness of 8000 songs. I wrote down some of the artist play order from last night. George Strait-Aerosmith- Beastie Boys- Willie Nelson- Amy Winehouse- Elton John- ZZ Top- Vanessa Carlton- Eagles of Death Metal- Kris Kristofferson- Maroon 5- the Beatles- Bleu Edmondson- The Killers- Fat Joe- Brad Paisley. Definitely interesting and entertaining. Only on song 1217. Definitely many more hours of random music to come.

Next, Korean women really like the color light tan or a really light brown, almost a fleshy color. When worn as a dress I honestly think it makes women look like a giant Band-Aid. Just my two cents.

I got a good laugh this morning when watching Franklin and Bash and writing this blog when the head lawyer guy through out Korean food reference when he said that they should all go for Kimbap. It made me smile. Also it gave me idea of what I'll probably have for lunch. :-)

I've been having a blast teaching these last two weeks. I think it might also have something to do with the fact that I've been watching Paulie Shore movies while I've been grading beforehand. I started with my all-time favorite Son-in-Law. Then I ventured to Encino Man and finally I just wrapped up my second favorite Bio-Dome.

I've been making monster batches of green tea that I've been taking to work. My students think its pretty comical almost how much green tea I drink a day. This morning I'm making a batch of peach green tea, super excited with getting to enjoy that next week.

Rainy season is over and I survived and it never really dampened my spirits. That also means thankfully they've picked up the pace on building the apartment behind our school. A few more weeks and it'll be moving day probably. :-)

When we were out at dinner the other night our boss was complaining about the English teacher at his daughter's high school. I basically stopped listening about the complaints whenever I heard the words “she” and “Ireland”. :-) I keep pressing Emma (his daughter) for more info, which she thinks is hilarious.

On a final note I'm super excited for the Olympics to be started and all my kids know it. I usually have nothing noted on my calendar except St. Patty's day, but opening day certainly got noted. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment