I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Inferences and Solving Crimes

So last night's listening skill was making inferences with stated details and facts.  The best part was that all the lectures were on police procedural tv shows.  The students thought it was a riot when I abbreviated it and every time I referred to it I called it PPTV.  Anyways, they spoke about Dragnet and how that started the trend and that CSI and Law&Order are keeping the category alive.  I then went on Youtube and played the opening statement from Dragnet for them and they wanted to watch the whole episode, then I played the opening lines from Law&Order and Law&Order:CI and had them listen to those and we talked about what it really meant.  Then one of the mini lectures focused on forensic science and I asked them what shows focused on this subject and they all said CSI, two of the boys said NCIS and then one of the kids said Bones.  I wasn't aware that these kids had anytime for TV.  Then the next mini lecture was about entomology and how studying bugs can help people solve cases.  One of the kids said that this was like the main guy on CSI and so then we started talking about how he's been able to solve a number of cases through that.  Their final project was to interpret a series of clues about a crime and be able to come up with a circumstance in which it happened and who did it.  I loved it as it was a great lecture and perfect participation by all, even the shy ones.

On a side note:  I opened with one of those guessing games where you slowing give clues such as this animal has four legs, it has a tail, etc.  And the students make guesses as they go along.  We used this to talk about what the facts were and how we can use these facts in order to make appropriate inferences.  When we got to the end they were all guessing lizard which was the answer and so they were wondering if I had a lizard and I told them I used to and showed them pictures and they all thought that it was a pretty cool pet, and I explained how mom wasn't always a fan whenever I'd let him roam around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment