I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ponderings, Wet Drywall and Buffet Lunch

So I've had several ponderings today. A) why does microwaved ketchup make me and the other guy I work with think of the same thing? MEATLOAF! B) If you're wearing panthose that are plain except there are stars that start at the inside knee and go up, why are you going to shoot me and every other guy who looks a "What are you looking at?" glance. I'm pretty sure you can figure it out. That being said (and I find this truly comical) Korea, Gangnam specifically, just had a decency law go into place where women can be fined for skirts and shorts that are too short. THANK GOD! I wasn't sure which one I would break first my neck from turning around quickly or my ankle from not watching where I'm walking. They were doing construction of some sort or another in our office today and so when I got out of my last class before lunch the other two instructors were like "We were thinking we'd go out to lunch today since they're doing construction, would you like to join?" To which I responded "I was kind of looking forward to lunch with the aromatic stylings of wet drywall." They started cracking up, but while I was standing there putting my coat on to go out with them I realized, it's not that bad and it's one of those smells that you don't get to experience that often. Maybe I'm just weird and I need to go back to smelling microwaved ketchup. So we went across from our office to a place called Oktoberfest for lunch today. Apparently the highest level students eat lunch here almost every single day. 5 bucks for an all you can eat buffet which they say there is a different Korean dish for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc etc. Apparently I'm going to need to visit this place on Wednesday because their DeokBokki (떡볶이) has been attested as being delicious. Well after I finished my first plate (to which one of the other instructors looked at it and was like "You're hungry aren't ya?") I was asking the students if I got a new plate or reused, not knowing what the code of conduct was at this restaurant. They said get a new one and I asked what I should do with my old one and they're like there's a tub around the corner and then the student that was telling me was like "Let me take it." The college students have got a lot of class and respect like this. Anyways, I wanted to take his instead so I told him I'd rock/paper/scissors him for it. I won and I told him that it wasn't disrespectful if I took his if I won in rock/paper/scissors. He responded that it was probably the first time in Korean history that the winner of rock/paper/scissors was the one that took the dishes. Some of the things that won me over by this buffet were the all you can eat coleslaw with add your own dressing (pretty typical on the side of pork dishes in Korea), 2 types of rice (white rice and then rice with reds soybeans which is delicious) and then 2 types of kimchi with one of them being the leafy kind of kimchi which you can't find everywhere and I absolutely love that kind when cold. Then kimchi from more of the heart of the cabbage I like it when it is grilled or in a stew, but fresh leafy kimchi is great just with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment