I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Teacher's Day

Korea is a pretty cool place in that there are awesome holidays all the time.  Take for example you have two birthdays. A solar calendar one and a lunar calendar one.  There's a Children's day, a Parent's day, a Teacher's day, etc. On Teacher's Day I got some presents from my 1st graders.  I got flowers from one girl, some vitamins from another and a reusable shopping bag from one of the boys.  I decided that I was going to write them thank you notes, but I was going to write it in Korean for them.  I wasn't expecting their reactions.  They were elated to see something in Korean that I had written.  One girl opened it up and instantly I got a hug.  :-)  The other highlight of the day was getting ice cream from a gas station later that night and the person serving the soft serve looked at me and goes 선생 which means teacher and I nodded my head and I got a couple of extra swirls of the ice cream.  :-)




Whenever I get reactions like this from kids it always makes me think of this audio clip from School of Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment