I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Monday, January 16, 2012

STREET FOOD, “MY” WAFFLE LADY, AND OMG AMERICAN CANDY!!!


Yes I still exist and yes this is finally a written update instead of just photos and captions.  Although there will probably be more of those in the future seeing as how easy they are to upload from my tablet.  
Been experimenting at home with new foods and absolutely love this new combo of noodles, soup and spiciness that I’ve come up with for myself (See former picture for a photographic representation).  It all stemmed basically from my Christmas gift from Santa of a Tofu marinating plasticware with a sealable top (and seal it it does as I really toss this stuff around to get a good blend).  I then saw some red and green Asian peppers at the market the other day that looked absolutely delectable and these were finely sliced and added to both the soup broth and to the bin to marinate the Tofu.  I purchased a garlic press this weekend for the financial sum of 1,500\ which basically is a buck fifty and what a difference it has made in food prep.  It’s one less thing I have to slice when I can just as easily throw it into the thing and have garlic mash to add to anything and everything to my heart’s content (which you might be able to guess from an earlier post is a lot of foods).  I’ve also been steaming these wonderfully delectable dumplings (a big Korean staple) and then I turn around and pan fry them with some sesame oil and soy sauce to be topped by a mix of sautéed green onions/peppers/sesame seeds/garlic with a splash of sweet chili sauce on top.  Mmmmm now that I wrote that I’m definitely making some tonight.  I was iffy before because we ordered in today for work and I ate too much (show of hands who’s shocked) and there were a couple of times during class that I thought I’d be teaching while holding the trashcan.
I’ve also been exploring Korean street foods.  There are street vendors everywhere here and it first stemmed from me taking an alternate route to work (had to stop by the atm to get money to purchase a cell phone) and I saw a cart that sold waffles.  Heck ya I thought.  Then I saw the sign that it was only a dollar and I got even more excited.  Then this little lady took a dollop of whip cream and spread on one side and a squirt of honey all over the other and folded it in half.  I was in heaven.  Mmmm.  The next day I routed myself by this corner and she was gone.  The audacity.  I then walked a different way to work the following day and that’s when I met “My” waffle lady.  Her whip cream has strawberries mixed in with it.  The first day I got the usual.  When I saw her the very next day she had a smile and I got extra honey and extra whip cream.  The third day in a row I saw her she said “thank you” instead of the Korean word for Goodbye (a nice goodbye not a get the hell out) after I had said thank you.  The fourth day I made the effort to learn delicious as I had already been responding with 1 and thank you in Korean.  That day she had learned and practiced Hello in anticipation for me.  I was saddened though when on Saturday she wasn’t opened.  Everyone deserves a day off so I thought that I’d see her today, Monday, but no such luck.  Maybe she’s the sole person in Korea that celebrates MLK day.  Her cart isn’t on the sidewalk so I don’t think she has to move it as even when it is closed it’s on her corner which makes me happy.
           When I haven’t stopped at her cart, usually when running multiple errands or like today when sadly she wasn’t opened, my first waffle lady is back with her husband.  He makes these small little dough dumplings that are delicious and filled with this red bean paste.  They’re not sweet like the waffle, but also not overly savory, a perfect union of the two sides.  The first day I stopped there he gave me an extra, however today when I went there I only got the 6 for a dollar because he was busy and could sell the others I guess.  There are still plenty of other options in the realm of Korean street food and I definitely look forward to exploring them further.  J
           Lastly, I got my Christmas care package from my folks last week later in the week.  It was great because I got it on a break during my Friday class and so I was looking through it and I decided that I would share a little of the candy that I had been sent.  Their response was hilarious.  OMG AMERICAN CANDY!!!  Haha it made me laugh because at the grocery store right next to school they sell Snickers and Starburst so idk what the deal is. 
***Random Thoughts***
           I had some more interesting bar food.  This was at a bar where a couple of us went out with the boss last week for chicken and beer and then progressed into the nightclub upstairs (not connected to the chicken and beer restaurant just conveniently upstairs).  There we had this marvelously wonderful dish that was a saltine cracker, a slice of ham, a slice of kiwi, a slice of banana, and a slice of a cherry tomato.  I know what you’re thinking, but IT WORKS.  I probably ate more than my allotment of them, but they’re addicting.
           My bank lady cracks me up.  I never got this much attention when I’d go see Pizza at Randolph Brooks.  Then again I wasn’t the “single” foreigner that comes in there to see her.  I specify single because the couple that works in the branch with us was at the bank with me one time and he didn’t get the overly helpful service that I got.  The branch manager even makes it a point that after he says the Korean greeting, that I respond to in Korean, he gives me a wave and a HI.  But back to the bank lady, who I think every time I try to do something, there’s always a reason to “come back tomorrow”.  I don’t mind because it’s between “my” waffle lady and work and on the way and fits perfectly into my city exploring time.
           Got my cell phone and it is beautifully simply.  It was a little feminine at first from the previous used with these fruity opening tones whenever you’d slide the lid open or birds and flowers and butterflies on the wallpaper, but I toned it down a little, found some ordinary basic ringtones and silenced all the other nonsensical noises (who really needs a noise when they’re pressing keys?) and I love it.  Then again now the trouble lies within the fact that I have a cell phone and I need to remember I have a cell phone so people can get ahold of me.  Otherwise it turns into a Grandpa Shannon cellphone and only he can get away with that and still be loved. J

No comments:

Post a Comment