I definitely appreciate the frequent readers and the feedback that I get on my blog. I don't really write it for notoriety, but rather to entertain and not feel so distant from the Western World. An occasional headshake in disbelief or an actual laugh out loud are added bonuses. Please continue to enjoy.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

SOMETIMES IT’S AWESOME BEING LOST, THE ALMOST PERFECT SOUP, A CHATTY CABBIE AND SCREW THE WHITE SOX



           Does anyone know what the best way to discover a city is?  Is there a methodical approach that works for some people that are going to be staying in a certain spot for an extended period of time?  I.E. not just trying to see a city in a week or a weekend.  Idk the answers to these questions and I by no way am saying that my approach is the best, but it works for me and I love it.  I wander.  Haha.  That’s the perfect way to put it.  It can either be on the way to work, on the way home from work, or after my morning run, but anytime it’s enjoyable.  I love having nowhere to go quickly and being able to window shop, people watch and just peruse the city.  I’ve discovered a couple restaurants that I eventually want to try this way, seen a couple of stores that look interesting, and it’s also how I discovered the running trail that’s close to where I live.  On one of my wanders I discovered that on the side of the train tracks in between my apartment and work there is a running trail that has exercise stations placed throughout the run.  I’m highly intrigued and will probably be moving at least some of my runs to this course as it mixes things up.
           Speaking of mixing things up, my soups.  Maybe there should just be a separate blog that I write about my soup adventures.  Until then however you have to sort through it here.  I’m not going to go into infinite detail about the newest soups, however I will just show time lapse pictures.  I call it the almost perfect soup, because I think that I could always add something or take something away.


           I took a cab to work today, I usually don’t but today it had just finished raining and I was just in the mood.  It was funny because when I flagged him down he honked first as he was going the other direction and I didn’t see a point in flagging him to u-turn, but after he honked I signaled him over.  I then figured out that he wanted to pick me up as he could ramble on and on in English, luckily it was a short ride, however it was fun.  He asked the usual question of where I was from and then told me my Korean pronunciation was good (I know it’s not, but oh well) and he also said that I must get all the ladies as I’m the most handsome American he’s had in his cab (tipping not’s typical in Korea so I wonder what he’s fishing for).  When we were almost there he offered me a stick of gum which I already had one in my mouth but took anyways.  I then exited the cab and paid my 2.60 fare with 3 bucks and insisted that he keep the .40 cents change (they always want to give it back, but this was the first cabbie that there wasn’t an argument about it with and I left the cab with a smile on my face.  I was definitely glad that I had taken a cab to work and that he had u-turned. 
           Finally it’s pretty common to see Koreans wearing miscellaneous MLB hats all the time.  However for some reason I have noticed that the White Sox are overwhelmingly popular.  WHAT?!?!  Idk the reasoning.  You also tend to see Yankees, Boston and San Fran hats mixed in, but White Sox ones are the most prevalent in my observations.  However, one of the students at our school (not in my class) showed up a couple classes ago in an Astros hat and it made my day and now I make an effort to see him in the hall whenever he’s on his way to class because see his hat never fails to put a smile on my face.
***Random Thoughts***
           We had a work dinner last night (pictures of the mushrooms have already been posted), but there was also a Kimchi soup that we had where the cabbage was a little less cured than it usually is and so amongst the spiciness you could still taste the cabbage flavor and every bite reminded me of Grandma Davis’ cabbage roll casserole soup (minus the sausage).  It made me very happy and the only perfect ending to being that happy was listening to George as I went to bed.
           During the course of the dinner discussions it was also brought up that the other teacher that’s in my apartment complex digs biscuits and gravy and those who know me know that I could frankly live off of it if it was culturally acceptable and therefore I’m going to be definitely making some batches as soon as I get my countertop over (should be arriving any day now).
           I got my electric kettle today which makes me happy.  I just have a small stovetop kettle and therefore for most breakfasts I have to heat it up twice: once for hot chocolate and once for oatmeal (both manly size portions).  Now with an electronic kettle that holds over a liter of water I no longer have to worry about it, or wait for the stove to heat up.
           Couldn’t find the bar soap that I scored at the little market in Seoul, however I did find some green tea soap that I enjoy.  It’s a good thing I enjoy it as I purchased a 6-pack.
           I haven’t mentioned American TV shows that started in January here.  Prime Suspect with Maria Bello just started, but I haven’t figured out what it’s scheduled time is.  However what makes me happy is the USA drama Suits from back in the states starts at about 11 when I get home from work and I’m in the middle of dinner.  I love the quote:
“I thought I told you to get some new suits.”  “I did.  I spent $500.”  “On how many suits?”  “Five.”
           My kind of humor, my kind of show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment